Monday 17 September 2007

usual to me, what about you?

Have you ever walked in a shopping mall with a person next to you and then suddenly feel an electric shock on your skin and even hear the zapping sound as you accidentally made contact with the person? I don't know about you lot out there but it happens to me all the time and it usually occurs when I walk in malls.

I thought I would know the explanation for this as I actually have some electrical background but surprise surprise, I don't. So I googled for some answers about this occurrence and then realised that I do feel it too whenever I try to shut my mom's car doors. Anyway, it is called the static shock.

Because I get really irritated with the effect after the shock (it makes my skin itch for a while), I tried to find ways to prevent it. First I needed to understand what causes it and based from my readings, it may be due to the dryness of the skin or what one is wearing. Dry environment can also encourage the occurrence. So that explains why I always get the shock when I'm shopping. Also strengthens my point about my contact lenses drying up in the mall.

Of course there are ways to prevent it, but I'm not sure how effective these are. Based on my sources, you should always moisturise your skin and avoid wearing synthetic clothes. Fine.. some of my clothes have some synthetics and my shoes are not very safety cautioned.

As for avoiding getting shocks from closing the car door, I have always practise shutting the door with my foot. I have had enough with the static shocks from the door due to the embarassment received whenever I swore out all the vulgar words I have in my vocab when I got the shock. Plus it is a good practice to be shutting the door with your feet, knuckles or elbows because it prevents the shock to happen at your fingertips where the pain nerves are most sensitive.

And now I feel so intelligent.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would always close my car door using the back of my arm. the static would only occur during day time when its hot and dry. wouldn't wanna use my leg to close it though. i've got to show some respect to Cpt Jack as he is cursed!

jaygee said...

lol. i would have to agree with u when it comes to showing respect to our cars. if not, they would behave funnily when you drive them. although, how are we supposed to show them respect when they always keep hurting us with the shock?

Annie said...

avoid Giant hypermarket's trolley at all cost! stupid static on wheels..

jaygee said...

oh that's new. i never experienced any shocks near a trolley. only giant ones is it?

Anonymous said...

probably by making sure your hand is moist enough to handle them. or if you wax your car frequent enough, then the surface of the car would be moisty so you might not get the shock! heheh

Anonymous said...

you probably won't be able to avoid it in malls. the dry air is caused by the air conditioning and is especailly noticeable from trolleys as the wheels act like a van de Graff generator. as for the shock from a car, if you wear a ring or bracelet, use that to contact the metal first so you won't feel the discharge. good luck

jaygee said...

thanks for the technical explanation. you've always been the one with all the good answers. ;)

Anonymous said...

you know me. i know a lot of useless shit.