Saturday 1 September 2007

Another Big Day

My brother suddenly said to me, "I can't wait to see them kiss." I snapped at him and said this was a Malay wedding (an engagement actually) and it's not in our culture for the newly-engaged couple to kiss. That was pretty weird coming from my little brother.

What I had in mind before I left for the ceremony was to show my face and have some lovely food to eat. But I was nicely approached by my aunt and was requested to help carry one of the eight hantarans from the bride-to-be to the groom-to-be. It was funny because I was wearing yellow and so did most of the hantaran girls.

Thankfully I have had experience in this area (hehe) so I wasn't nervous at all. Plus, I had to carry cupcakes to the groom's family - was that a sign or what? Of course their cupcakes were nicer than mine. I mean, everyone's cupcakes are nicer than my fairy cakes. I have to admit.

Anyway, it was a lovely event. Most of my uncles and aunts were there and it was wonderful that many of my cousins turned up too. We catched up and joked around about who's getting hitched next. And somehow I think being chosen as a hantaran girl was an indirect way to 'sell' the gift carrier girls to the eligible men out there. Pretty obvious right? It's very rare for a married woman to be selected to do the honourable job.

Fishy update: All Harry, Ron and Hermoine are very well healthy even when they live with the fatty evil Voldemort. Their home now is full with plants and I am very happy that they survived their first day under my care :)

5 comments:

Annie said...

do you know that no one will marry you if you become a bridesmaid for 3 times?

i wonder if that applies for being the hantaran girl. one more quota left. :p

jaygee said...

bridemaid and hantaran girl are different la.. bridemaid is the tukang kipas. and i havent done that yet. so i'm alright!

Annie said...

i totally forgotten about the tukang kipas. yeah, so you are definitely alright!

~cass* said...

Halal Dim Sum?

Spring Garden restaurant in KLCC - pretty pricey though. :P

jaygee said...

thanks cass for the info. if i'm not mistaken, eden in the curve also serves halal dimsum. but i have yet to try them out. i hope they're still serving them!